Press Release – February 5, 2019

Many Camrose County residents have taken a keen interest in two development projects that were approved by Camrose County in December 2018, just southeast of Camrose, near the Cargill Canola Crush Plant. Both applications were appealed and on January 16, 2019 a Subdivision and Development Appeal Board (SDAB) held two hearings.  The Subdivision and Development Appeal Board consists of five members of the public at large appointed by Council from community volunteers.  SDAB members are trained through a Provincial training program and hear appeals of development decisions.

The first permit was issued by Camrose County to Krahn Engineering/Luft Botanicals for a one-story pre-engineered cannabis production facility.  The site is Plan 1424213, Block 1, Lot 4 and is located north east of the Cargill Crush Plant.  The land is zoned General Agriculture and intensive agriculture uses (greenhouses) are permitted by the Camrose County Land Use Bylaw.  The permit was appealed by the City of Camrose under the argument that the cannabis production facilities do not meet the definition of Intensive Agricultural Operations. 

The Subdivision and Development Appeal Board (SDAB) upheld the permit because they found the majority of the facility is dedicated to the production of crops and the proposed use falls within the definition of Intensive Agricultural Operations as outlined in the Land Use Bylaw.   The Board found that cannabis is a crop based upon the evidence that both the 2018 Federal AgriStability Program and the 2018 AgriInvest Program list cannabis as an agricultural commodity.

Some concerns were raised by the public through the appeal process regarding the cannabis production facility.  Cannabis production facilities are separate from retail facilities and are subject to strict Health Canada regulations.  The building must be equipped with a system that filters air to prevent the escape of odours.  Health Canada monitors very strict security protocols and every gram of cannabis must be accounted for at every stage of the process.  The site must be designed in a manner that prevents unauthorized access.  Cannabis production facilities are taxed as agricultural use.  If you are interested in finding out more please see the following Health Canada website:

The second permit was issued by Camrose County to Cargill for a fertilizer storage, blending and sales facility, just north of the existing Crush Plant on land owned by Cargill.  The land is zoned General Agricultural and fertilizer storage, blending and sales is listed in the County Land Use Bylaw as a discretionary use.  The permit was approved by the Municipal Planning Commission and was given conditions to mitigate any incompatibility. It was also circulated to adjacent land owners for consideration.  The County Municipal Planning Commission approved the development because they felt it is in an ideal location as it is located next to an internal roadway, it is directly adjacent to existing railway operations and is directly north of the Cargill Canola Crush Plant.    The permit was appealed by the City of Camrose as well as a neighboring land owner.

The SDAB denied the appeals and issued a development permit for the facility and included conditions in addition to those imposed by the County.  The additional conditions address concerns raised by the appellants and include fencing the area and building a berm on the east side of the property to minimize noise impact to the residences to the east of the facility.  As a condition of the development permit developer will contribute to the City of Camrose for off-site utility servicing.

Camrose County is pleased to see investment in our County by these developers.  The additional investment of $34 million dollars will bring approximately 80 new jobs and additional tax revenue to the community.  These developments are occurring in an area that has been identified for value-added agriculture development and in a time of a struggling economy, the increased activity will be positive for local construction companies, part and supply businesses, and have many other positive effects for the region and the City of Camrose.  In addition, the fertilizer plant will be strategically located to backfill trucks coming from farms loaded with canola and as such should decrease truck traffic and save local farmers money. 

These are developments that are consistent with the agricultural backbone of the County and will benefit farmers in the area.  However, these benefits are not limited to the agricultural industry, and the economic spin off will be positive for the entire area.  Camrose County welcomes value-added agricultural development and is open for business!

Official Results available here.

The Municipal Election was held on Monday, October 16, 2017.  Camrose County voters elect Councillors in 7 Divisions.  To see a map of the Electoral Divisions and their current representative, please click here.  The Reeve is nominated at the Organizational Meeting each fall from among the elected officials.

Election Additional Information:

Municipal Government Candidate Guide

Camrose County's Candidate Information Guide - everything you need to know about running for Council and what happens after!




For Fire, Police or Medical Emergencies please dial 911.  For any after hours County Utility-related issues, please call 780-608-7014.

Did you know that you can enjoy fresh food and farm products, grown and prepared right here in Camrose County!  Camrose County has prepared a list of over 50 local farmers, gardeners, and producers who would love to bring their farm to your table

For a printable (PDF) copy of the Local Food Producers Guide, click here

For the online version of the Local Food Producers Guide, click here

Local Food Contest Winner!!

This summer, the Camrose County Agriculture Communications Committee hosted a contest for a Basket of Local Products to be won each month.  The Grand Prize winner for the summer is Dr. Charley Boyd!  Look at the amazing basket of Local Produce worth $500!




Click here to visit the "Real" Hansen Brothers of Hockey page on the Living Heritage Website - A museum without walls!

Council has updated the Fee For Service Bylaw for 2017.  The bylaw is available here.  The fee schedule in the Bylaw will take effect Jan. 1, 2017.

Effective April 1, 2018, producers will need to have an EFP completion letter dated within the last 10 years to be considered current and eligible for cost-share funding with the Environmental Sustainability and Climate Change programs of the Canadian Agriculture Partnership (CAP). That means, for example, if you apply in September 1, 2018, your EFP will need to have been approved on or after September 1, 2008 to be considered for current funding.

I’m sure the first question you’ll ask after reading the title is “Why?”. There has been a movement to harmonize EFPs nationally to make EFPs more useful to sustainable sourcing programs, and Alberta is the only province without a renewal period; therefore, we are doing it to make EFPs useful to sustainable sourcing programs across Canada.

I’m sure the next question is “How often?”. The Alberta EFP program has a Stakeholder Advisory Committee (an industry advisory group) that set the renewal period at 10 years.  We are waiting to see if the renewal period becomes part of the harmonized national standard.  If it does, we anticipate we will need to move the renewal period to 5 years or less in the future.

What does this mean for producers?

  • If you want to apply for Growing Forward/CAP grants, you will need a current EFP.
  • If a sustainable sourcing program requires it (e.g. the potato sustainability initiative), you will need a current EFP
  • If your completion letter is older than 10 years, you will need to do a new workbook and action plan.
  • If you cannot find your completion letter, you will need to start and complete a new EFP to be considered current, regardless of the completion date; unless your EFP is online.
  • Technicians cannot give out completion letters without doing a full review of a new EFP (both workbook and action plan).

Producers should use the online workbook!  ~ Why?

  • The online workbook does many of the calculations for you and carries data forward to other parts of the online workbook where needed
  • Future renewals will be easier. The data are stored online on a secure virtual private server accessible only to ARECA staff entrusted to deliver the EFP Program.
    • When the next version change comes, your data will be migrated to the newest version, making updates easier and simpler.
  • If available, you should use your original binder as a reference for your EFP renewal.  Producers who have done this have told us putting the paper version online takes a few hours
  • If you cannot renew online, then you need to complete a new binder of the latest version.

How do I Renew?

Click here to see the full media release.


One of the main reasons for the ASB Conference is the resolutions process, which allows delegates to highlight agricultural issues in their jurisdictions and bring them to the attention of the government. Agricultural concerns brought to the Provincial ASB Conference must have been voted on and passed by local ASB boards, as well as at the regional ASB level. From there, the issues are presented at the Provincial ASB Conference, if it passed there will be sent to the provincial government for a response.


Delegates passed eight resolutions to be forwarded to the government for response:

  • Loss of 2% strychnine
  • Wildlife Predator Compensation Program Enhancement
  • Deadstock Removal
  • Carbon Credits for Permanent Pasture and Forested Lands
  • Multi-stakeholder Committee to Work at Reducing the Use of Freshwater by the Oil and Gas Industry in Alberta
  • STEP Program Agricultural Eligibility
  • Access to Agriculture-Specific Mental Health Resources
  • No Royalties on Farm Saved Seed


Preparations are currently underway for the 2020 Provincial ASB Conference, which will celebrate a landmark year next year for the Alberta Agricultural Service Boards!


If you have any questions or want to learn more, please contact:


Maureen Vadnais-Sloan

Executive Assistant

Provincial Agricultural Service Board Committee



Although Farm Vehicles (Class 2) are exempt from the provisions of sections 10 and 22 of the NSC (National Safety Code for Motor Carriers) when carrying bales (IF they do not exceed the posted speed limit or 80 km/hr, whichever is less, and the vehicle is not operated onon any highway or portion of a highway except to cross the highway), they are NOT EXEMPT from Section 5(2) of the Cargo Securement Standard which states:

"The cargo securement system shall provide a downward force equal to at least 20% of the weight of an article of cargo if the article is not fully contained within the structure of the vehicle"

What this is saying is that you MUST secure each bale with strap, with a marked Working Load Limit (WWL) of at least 20% of weight or aggregate weight of each bale or stack of bales loaded on any vehicle.

For example, If you have a sinigle bale that weighs 500 kg you would need to secure that bale with a strap marked with a WWL of 100 kg. 

If you have one strap over two bales that weight 500 kg each, you would need a strap with a WWL of 200 kg. 

If you have a single strap over three bales that weigh 500 kg each, you would need a strap with a WWL of 300 kg.

The fines for an improperly secured load are up to $776.



Subscribe to News